Monday, 12 March 2012

CLASSIC SNOW BALL PUDDING (Floating Island Pudding)

Before I proceed with this post, I need to thank Rathai of Rathai's Recipes and Ambreen of Simply Sweet n Savoury for awarding me with Liebster award. Thank you so much Rathai and Ambreen for keeping me in your thoughts and bestowing this award on me J Please ignore the delay in acknowledging...of late I have become very forgetful. I also need to thank Sonali of Only Fish Recipes for giving me the Versatile blogger award. Thanks dear!


The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, though I firmly believe this is only partially true but that’s another story. As a newly-wed, I was certainly living by this adage. To please impress my husband with a different unique dish (he has grown up on typical Indian cuisine) and to flaunt my cooking skills (whatever few I had at that point of time) I wanted to present to him a dish that would floor him! 



This dish had caught my fancy when Mum had first cooked it. It looked so spectacular and tasted so yummy that I zeroed in on this dish to carry out my mission ;-) When I told Mum about my intent and requested her for the recipe, I could hear an amused tone in her voice over the phone. This was one of the two non-Indian desserts that Mum used to dish out for us; the other being the crème caramel.

Despite my first attempt, this dessert did come out well. But after that first attempt, I never made it againno, not because my husband didn’t like it but because post that attempt, the demands of juggling an 8 to 7 job and domesticity seized most of my time. And, more over once the mission was accomplished I never had the motivation to make it again ;-)

Thanks to blogging, when I started compiling a list of Mom’s recipes, I realized that this was one recipe that I had not made ever since. And, what better way to have a reminiscence of those beautiful moments when I first made it J



Here is what you will need for this old-fashioned pudding:

5 egg whites
½ litre (plus 1 cup +/- coz it will reduce while poaching) milk
2-3 tbsp custard powder (vanilla flavour)
1 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste)

Pour the milk in a container and allow it to come to a boil.
While the milk is boiling whisk the egg whites till they form stiff peaks.
When the milk gets boiled, add sugar to the milk.
Stir to dissolve the sugar and sieve it in a wide container
Keep the container on the fire and let the milk simmer on very low heat.
Now, with the help of a spoon or ice cream scoop, scoop the stiff peaks of egg and gently put them on to the simmering milk and poach them.
Once done, remove them on a moist plate and keep them in the refrigerator to set.
Finish the whole meringue (stiff egg white) in this manner.
Remove the milk from the heat.


The quantity of milk would have reduced. Add more milk to bring the amount back to half a litre.
Take half a cup of milk (cold or at room temperature) and add the custard powder to it. 

Mix well and add to the milk and again put the milk container on fire.
Let it gently simmer on fire while continuously stirring it.
Once the custard is cooked, remove from the heat and let it cool. Keep giving it a stir now and then to avoid the formation of a creamy crust on its top.
Once cool, refrigerate it and then serve it topped with the meringue.

Note: The original recipe had the yolks being gradually added to milk on a low simmer to make the custard but I failed to recall whether I was supposed to use all the egg yolks or not. Playing safe I used custard powder instead. 
Note: I added a little more than a cup of milk more coz it reduce substantially while I was poaching the meringue.
Note: This pudding can be served with a drizzle of caramel on top but I preferred a sprinkle of cooled and crushed caramel since that also added some texture. 



Serves - 6


Post linked to Amy's Mid Week Fiesta


Post linked to Ayeesha's Any One Can Cook Series-44
 

58 comments:

  1. That looks so lovely that if it were I would not have the heart to eat it. Yummy indeed. Do check out the giveaway at my space dear.
    Tickling Palates

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a beautiful dessert - I have never had snow ball pudding! Congrats n juggling all your responsibilities and still creating such amazing treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing and creative too. Why did my mom not think of that? :-)
    I have to tell her. Floating islands is an interesting name to the interesting pudding

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting one......love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow....that is an interesting recipe....bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, this dessert reminds me of a famous cocktail that I used to drink long ago, called Snow Ball! Love it, dear! Thks so much for your vote & kind gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome recipe looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really stunning!! and I can just imagine how delicious they are!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks spectacular ! Putting it in the wineglass gives that pudding a more sophisticated edge ! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Anne! It definitely looks sophisticated and classy :)

      Delete
  10. Oh the things we do to impress people! My husband is way more impressed with my skills behind the stove now than when we got married!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the story behind the pics! Looks really tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, awesome dessert, very new, on my must try out list and you have presented it so well too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this dessert, thanks for the recipe and notes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh they look gorgeous!!I love the look of these meringues here.So visually appealing and delicious looking.Can't wait to try these :)Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comments!Happy to follow you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful dessert! I have never tried eating or making floating island pudding but I want to now! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this dessert from my childhood, my mum used to make it. I dont remember what my mum used to call it. I loe thid dessert! thanks for sharing the recipe I ll save it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  17. They do look fancy and pretty! Bet they taste wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never seen a pudding like this before. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a great dessert, similar to a Middle Eastern cardamom pudding I made recently.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember the those newlywed days of trying to impress my husband. Now I cook for the blog so he still eats well... but it's not for his benefit (I am terrible)! :) This looks like a light and delicious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, so interesting, wonderful dessert dear :)..lovely clicks !!

    Join the Just "4" Fun event :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous!!!! This is no easy dessert and you executed it perfectly :) Love the story of your first try...I'm sure it impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen this before - it looks totally delicious. I'm not a big dessert eater, but I adore pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my word...what a luscious looking pudding! And your lead photo is absolutely stunning! I have used custard powder in the past and it really does guarantee you pudding will thicken! And that crushed caramel is perfect! Your husband must have been so impressed. I know I am!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. very yummy dessert..looks inviting..you have wonderful space..glad to follow u!!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks friends for your encouraging remarks. This dessert will never fail to impress your guests or family! It's tried and tested ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow!lovely.............this is a classic!.....thanks for your nice comment and following me:).......you have a very nice blog...following you:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yummy pudding, adding meringue is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A first time success really makes it all worth it. I have been nervous and doubting on my skills before and it is a great feeling when you prove to yourself that you had the skills all along!
    This does look amazing and you executed this perfectly. Impressive and elegant dish! Glad you are carrying on tradition by saving your mom's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. An interesting dessert. At first look, i thought it was icecream. Who would have that it's meringue..nice!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh! What a lovely and delicate dessert...I has this only once and now I have the recipe to try it at home...thanks!
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, I've never seen a dessert like this!! Very impressive indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've never heard of snow ball pudding -- it looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful and tasty looking dessert! Lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Interesting,this is what I love about food blog,I learn and find new recipe,dessert lokks pretty and yummy as well :)
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh I love pudding! These look awesome. I also think its great that you are going through your mom's recipes! I have my great grandmother's cookbook and need to start using it more.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks really nice...lovely recipe as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sounds delicious and looks lovely. Pudding is one my of fav dessert for anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful pdding recipe...looks tmepting and mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, looks so tempting. Wonderful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Food is definitely the way to my husband's heart! ;-) This pudding looks wonderful, I'm so glad you gave it another go to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  42. OMG! This meringue dessert looks so stunning!! Loved the recipe and saving this recipe for Easter. Have a wonderful day and happy cooking/baking. http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com
    Warm regards: Purabi Naha

    ReplyDelete
  43. I adore old-fashioned puddings like this! Thanks for the notes because I don't think I've ever seen custard powder, so I might try this with the egg yolks. If I'm going to eat a dessert, this is the kind I would want to eat. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  44. How pretty!!! I've never had pudding like this - actually never seen one like this. I just think this is so pretty to present for parties. Definitely eye catching dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW! Never tried making a floating pudding! This looks just fantastic. Thanks for sharing this classic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  46. See,b while it may be a clasic for some people, it is completely new to me. :)
    Surely dressed to impress - especially in wine glasses!

    Cheers,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  47. I've always wanted to make this! It's such a pretty dessert! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow! really nice pudding and its looks just super!! sorry for late reply quiet busy with family. Thanks so much for passing award:).

    ReplyDelete
  49. oh wow! what a beautifly dessert, never had anything like it before

    ReplyDelete
  50. This is awesome! So many different ways to present thus dessert, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  51. That's a fabulous dessert with awesome clicks Dear.Bkmarked it. Glad to follow U. Do visit my space when U r free.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Beautiful dessert,well captured. Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. I used to enjoy this as a child. Invariably, Monday night dinners were 'snowball pudding' nights. Glad I found your recipe - hope I have the courage to make it for my child!!

    ReplyDelete

IT IS ALWAYS ENCOURAGING TO HEAR FROM FRIENDS AND READERS. I CAN ALSO BE REACHED AT: easyfoodsmith@gmail.com